History of Mouquim
COAT-Gold Shield, two manguais in black with red straps; in Chief a viera. Silver mural crown of three towers. White listel with caption in black "MOUQUIM".
Located at 3 Km from the county seat and the 2 from the left margin of This River and within walking distance of the river Ave, Santiago de Mouquim is very old village, having been Christian, with Judge, Board and officers, and received a Charter of d. Afonso III, the may 1258 16. Before, his name still appears in the notarial documentation. In 1151, appears the name Villa Maloquin in the territory of Bracala; in 1220, with the name of Mooquim; in 1258, as Mouaquim; and in 1320, until today, with the designation of Mouquim. In 1426, the count of Barcelos, Dom Afonso, acquired, by purchase, to the Bishop of Santiago de Compostela, this settlement, which later passed into the possession of the House of Braganza, which received one-fifth of the income that produced. Mouquim was Secular, belonging to the Abbey Abbot Diogo Pinheiro, natural son of Alvaro Pinheiro, Wolf Lord of Cassa and Estate of pine trees, of Barcelos, who donated to the nuns of the monastery of the Masons, "for it to receive in the order their daughters, one being D. Frances Patel, who left illustrious descent "(account the Priest Carvalho, in his" Corografia personal record ", 1706). The story noted that fact, demonstrating the paucity of celibacy in its past. The Priest Carvalho, referred to the existence of two large farms, which even then he gives them as ancient: the fifth of Juncosa, with a tower, which belonged to the Prado family; and Quinta da Costa, branch of the Pine family, of Barcelos, this being the fifth with more history in the parish. In addition to these, the Church deserves, the Shrine and the Manor of Tarrio, with Chapel.
Festivals and fairs: last weekend of may, the feast in honour of our Lady of Fatima and St. Sebastian. On day 8 of December is the feast in honour of our Lady of the conception.